Hi Guys,

I've been writing 69-word, theme-based stories for the digital lifestyle magazine, The Brown Scooter, every month.

Read off and let me know what you think/feel :)


===========================================================================

One night @ Mocha - WTF!!!

Y ON EARTH DO PEOPLE GO TO MOCHA's? Had been to Mocha's yesterday (the one @ Nirmal Lifestyle) and man am I pissed!! Shitty ambience, expensive but non-filling food and absolutely pathetic service... this is my second experience (first being the one @ Hiranandani sometime back) and yesterday's trip just confirmed my thoughts on relentless mushrooming of overpriced 'hangouts' like Mocha...

Ppl who know me know that I am NEITHER sooo poor that I can't afford the food/snacks there NOR am I someone who thinks wearing jeans is ruining Indian culture, so I hope that clears out any doubt on me being a wannabe ghati posting random rants to get my blog numbers ticking... coming back to the point, I can't seem to get over the fact that people go to such 'hangouts' in hordes and sit around on old chairs/gaddis (which look like the ones my mom threw out yesterday), surrounded by curtains (which look like they've been cut out from those marchardani nets that you get on the roadside) and smoke away 300 bucks on 'flavoured steam'!!!

So, is it that place cool u ask? Personally, I don't think so... there are 'cooler' places to hang-out and have fun than a place like Mocha where one look at the ceiling makes me feel like a plumber/electrician with all those pipes/uninsulated wires running around... Y then? India's economy is booming, the purchasing power has gone up and we have a richer middle-class?? My ***! Is the food filling? NO - @ Mocha's, exhorbitant prices is not equal to a full stomach, mind you... so, is it the 'world-class' service? HELL NO - I have been to cheaper places where the customer service is much much better that the one at Mocha's.. me thinks they recruit people only once in the entire lifetime of an outlet and don't give a shit even if the customers outnumber the staff 15:1...

So, y the hell did I goto Mocha's the second time if I wasn't happy the first time around and y am I ranting about it now? Well, for starters THIS IS MY BLOG... secondly, both the times I was almost forced to go as most of the people wanted to smoke 'hukka' and so I had to tag along... 2 reasons I think -
1. A Perceived sense of 'coolness'
2. A place where there is no one to disturb you as you slump back in the chair and endlessly keep staring at the ceiling or chatter away wid frndz without being disturbed..!

But does it have to be so over-priced? can't the place be a bit more polished? better customer service? Am I asking for too much... I dn't think so!

10 comments:

Dhananjay Shettigar said...

I do concur with you, though I have been to Mocha's quite a few times. I think the service is absolute pits. Dont ever eat out there, especially the Power Meal @ Rs. 99. It is the shittiest thing I have ever tasted on earth. And, I havent tasted shit :)
Though, I think its a decent place for 5-6 people to hang-out for a couple of hours and having their fill of 'Hukka' without being disturbed. And, the gals are quite pretty too.
To top it all, I have lost my cellphone at Mocha :(

Shells(Shaily) said...

Been to Mocha...neva really had any food...but one thing's for sure...dont like the ambience...its too gloomy n sumtimes tending towards the murky sinister type!besides funny as it may sound...cant stand the damn smoke...n yeah the furniture looks like its been bought from kabadiwala...prefer Barista anyday as a coffee shop...brighter n happier!Good work JK, but i think we wudnt find many supporters...many looooove Mocha!

CruciFire said...

@ Dhanu - oh finally a comment from the Great One! ;) Yeah i totally agree wid u on the gals part :P...

@ Shells - 'murky sinister type'... hahahha nice! but isn't barista too a bit overpriced? but it is a much better place... yeah and i concur wid u on the supporters part... so many ppl 'lou' Mocha... lol..

Neha said...

This is really good. Reminds me of a short hindi story which could better be classified as mockery than story. Your blogs are really professional man!

Vijay said...

Totally True SAAR. For South yindians like yus. We shud haave Cofee at whome..Why go to Mochi (Mocha). YOu want Yukka go to some south indian god ka temple yarly morning. You will get a fragrant smoke there too. All for freeeeee

CruciFire said...

@ neha - heyy thnx a lot for the comments, do check back smtimes... and u mean posts, not blogs!

@ vijay - hahahahha true, VERY true!!

Surya Ragunaathan said...

The below is not to enforce my opinion on you or anybody else...just my comments...

First of all, you dont go to a Mocha/CCD/Barista (and the likes of them) expecting to eat stomach full...you go to a proper restaurant or say McD's (maybe) to eat your fill...Mocha is more of a Coffee cum snacks place and I think their Coffee/Mochachino, etc are simply Superb...trust me, u will hardly find that sorta Coffee standard anywhere in Mumbai (most other places serve artificial flavoured or Nescafe)...

I think its about choosing WHAT you must eat/drink and WHERE...like my mom cribbed about the really bad Idlis she was served at a Punju dhaba the other day...now, thats certainly not a place where u order Idlis, do you? Obviously, Mocha is not where you go order a meal!! I mean, that sorta meal combos exist just for the purpose of attracting more customers...

And 'cool' I guess is a subjective term and if there is 'perceived sense of coolness' then I guess different pple have their own definitions...

And yes, for me sitting for hours, chatting away and not be disturbed
is a BIG DEAL! Coz you dont go to Mocha/CCD, etc to just have Coffee and get out...it IS indeed about spending a lot of time without being asked to get up...

Ambience..Well, again very subjective...I also think their ceiling is a bit too weird (not 'bad' though!) But I like their seats/sofas, the paintings they have put up (for once, its not not-understandable Modern art) and the old Lamps they have lit in corners(I feel they are very Arty)...I think they play very very good Music (unlike CCD which play Bryan Adams and Vengaboys) and that too very softly...

Expensive, I agree totally! I guess its a feature with all these contemporary Coffee shops or restaurants...

Huff!! Longest comments that I have ever made I guess...

Cheers!!

Surya Ragunaathan said...

Btw, forgot about the compliments :-) :-) Well written and good to have brought up a post on sumthing like this...i wanted to do it myself from quite sumtime, but you know I dont blog these days, right?

CruciFire said...

@ surya - heyy thnx a lot for the comments... i guess like every other thing in life this too boils down to personal preference... In all probability, neither r u gonna start hating mocha nor I start loving it, so lets just leave it at tat... arre strt blogging besharam!! blogging chod, likhna bhi chod diya kya? havn't seen ny articles frm u off-late??

Surya Ragunaathan said...

ya, i have not been writing also from quite some time now...neways, aaj post kiya...bus aise hi, mood aa gaya...listen to the song from raaga.com before you read the post...if u havent heard it before...

Cheers!!
Surya